World Cup 2018: Lidl and Aldi to close shops early if England make the final
Football’s coming home – at least that’s what all Aldi and Lidl employees in England will be doing if the English national team makes the World Cup Final.
The two German supermarkets just announced via social media that they’ll be closing all of their stores at 3pm BST on July 15 in anticipation of the upcoming match.
The match will start shortly afterwards at 4pm BST.
England will have to defeat Croatia on Wednesday, July 11 to reach the World Cup Final match
On July 9, Aldi posted a message on its Facebook and Twitter profiles with the caption: ‘If England reach the World Cup Final we’re gonna close all our stores in England early at 3pm on Sunday 15th July. We want our colleagues to be the 12th man cheering on the lads. #BringItHome.’
Lidl soon followed suit, posting a social media message of its own proclaiming that it will not be a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when’ England qualified: ‘As the *official* supermarket of the England Football team, let’s make *this* announcement official. *When* our boys make it to the final this Sunday, it will be early doors across our English stores. #3pmClosing #ItsComingHome’.
The social media posts quickly drew a positive reaction from England football fans. Some expressed displeasure, however, at the prospect of the stores closing an hour early, with one Facebook user stating on Aldi’s page: ‘… you can’t be taken seriously ever again after this.’
Not all supermarkets in England of course will be closing for the much-anticipated match, with Co-Op Food confirming on social media that they’ll indeed be open during the World Cup Final.
When is the 2018 World Cup Final?
The 2018 World Cup Final will take place on Sunday, July 15 at 11am EST (4pm BST).
Where is the 2018 World Cup Final?
The match will be held at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia.
How to watch the 2018 World Cup Final
In the United States, the match can be watched on Fox and livestreamed on fuboTV.
Viewers in the United Kingdom will be able to watch on both BBC and ITV. Livestreaming will also be available on the BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Meghan Markle’s birthday wish every year is inspired by her mother
- Justin Theroux ‘misses Jennifer Aniston after sexy InStyle shoot’
- Culture Club tour 2018: All you need to know about the UK dates
- Great British Bake Off 2018: Start date, judges, trailer and more revealed
- Gumball 3000 Rally 2018: All you need to know about the 20th anniversary race from London to Tokyo
- Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams launches Daisie app
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle told friends ‘if you talk to the press you’re out’
- What is Princess Beatrice’s net worth? Princess Eugenie’s maid-of-honour’s wealth revealed
- Station 19 season 2: All you need to know about the Grey’s Anatomy spin-off
- Stephen Colbert slams Ivanka Trump on The Late Show asking ‘what do you do?’
- Glenn Jacobs net worth: WWE wrestler Kane’s wealth revealed after winning Tennessee mayor election
- Pink’s net worth revealed amid Beautiful Trauma tour
- Could Love Island be axed because of Brexit?
- Fortnite’s Week 4 challenges: Search between a gas station, soccer pitch and Stunt Mountain
- FA Community Shield 2018 – Chelsea vs Manchester City: When is it and what TV channel is it on?
- As Jennifer Aniston and Kim Kardashian reveal their weight, here’s what your favorite celebs weigh
- Deontay Wilder net worth revealed after Tyson Fury ‘confirms’ fight date
- Who is Gul Panag? Actress revealed after news she had a baby six months ago
- Astroworld: How to listen to Travis Scott’s new album
- Brighton Pride 2018: Date, performers, schedule, route, theme and more revealed
Most watchedSport videos
- TJ Dillashaw retains UFC bantamweight championship 2018
- Premier League transfer round-up: Palace sign German international
- Klopp: 'Don't let expectations grow' following win against Napoli
- Conor McGregor makes long awaited UFC return in October
- Guardiola says Manchester City looking to win Community Shield
- Confidence is key in test series Joe Root says after beating India
- England rugby squad starts pre-season training despite UK heat record
- Serena Williams suffers worst defeat of career in California
- "Easy work!": Jessie Lingard returns to training at Carrington
- Reaction after Bayern Munich beat Manchester United 1-0
- Arsenal players post videos of flight to Singapore on Instagram
- English Premier League 2018-19 club profile: Manchester United